Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Thursday, May 15, 2003


Homophones
Not to be confused with the much more politically charged topic that comes up if you change one letter (left as an exercise to the reader)! I was watching the Daily Show last night (aside: why is this the best news source on television?), and they used the word "balm", and I thought of the almost homophone "bomb". It depends on your dialect I suppose, but I suspect most people pronounce both of these the same way. So, here is today's quiz. Let's see who can come up with homophones with the most differing letters (either absolute or percentage, letters in different orders count). Extra credit for longer words, as measured by the longer of the two words in the homophonic pair. Let's leave aside things like English/American spellings, and only real words. Example- mete out justice, have a big slab of meat. Have fun, I am sure I will be impressed!

Home