Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Tuesday, May 06, 2003


An audacious (and perhaps unlikely) plan
Well, I find myself increasingly uninterested in day to day commentary, so in the spirit of bloggers elsewhere, I've decided to try writing a book! Yeah, I know, that doesn't make much sense, but what the hell, right?

So, here is my goal; I want to write a popular science book about the huge and largely unappreciated role of microbes in our daily lives. Topics will include (1) the biotechnological advances made using bacterial and viral techniques for drug manufacture, agriculture, food science, and materials science (2) The many symbioses between humans and microbes that affect our lives (3) the role harmless and harmful microbes have played and continue to play in human evolution and physiology, and (4) ways in which appreciating the helpful as well as harmful roles of microbes can produce new ways of dealing with human welfare, disease, and economic security. I will try and post outlines and perhaps draft sections of the book as I go. Needless to say, the topics may shift, and the whole thing might go nowhere, but I am going to give it a shot. Any feedback that people give me as I go will be hugely appreciated, and of course, acknowledged if and when a final work is produced. I am also willing to consider doing this in concert with other people, if they are interested (just going to leave that one hanging out there). Realistically, I probably will post something maybe once or twice a week. I finish my job at Caltech at the end of July, and don't start teaching until mid September, so hopefully that will be my productive period. Cheers!

Home