Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Friday, April 18, 2003


Rod Paige and "Christian" values
Now, most people who have read this page for a while (both of you) will know that I am an athiest (well, concievably an agnostic), and will also know that I am pretty adamant about it. So, you might expect that I would be pretty upset about the constant church-state separation line trampling coming from the Bush Administration, the latest example being Rod Paige and his desire to see "Christian" values in our schools. Well, actually, no, I don't really care. My interpretation of this is that Mr. Paige (is he Dr., with a Ph.D. or Ed.D?) was using "Christian" in the common, vernacular sense that it is often used by many Americans as a synonym for "good". Now, I find that a deeply flawed viewpoint, for a number of reasons, and "Judeo-Christian" is really no better (are Buddhists, Hindus, Daoists, etc amoral heathens?), based on the flawed notion that morality is derived from religious faith. The way I see it, basic morality stems from "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", which certainly has a prominent place in Judaism and Christianity (as well as other religions, I expect), but can't be claimed as derived from this religious tradion. I also can't really see how this quote, even taken egregiously out of context, in any way really endorses bringing religion into the schools. It's a tempest in a teapot that says more about the unfortunately common tactic on both sides of attacking every utterance of the opposition without hesitation.

Home