Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Thursday, August 15, 2002


WTF???

For those who missed Jonathan Turley's Op-Ed in the L.A. Times ( I won't link it, because I really hate their new registration policy, but here is a link to Tom Tomorrow's Blog in which he discusses the issue), it appears to be the case that our government has completely gone off the deep end. Camps? CAMPS??? (for those who haven't read it, Ashcroft has proposed setting up detainment camps for "enemy combatants", including American citizens, where they may be held without any civil rights whatsoever). I seriously can't believe that they even proposed such a horror. Don't they know anything, anything at all about America? What Justice Department lawyer saw this proposal and thought "Of course, if we round up people suspected of being terrorists, and put them in camps, that will be fine." This is not just over the line, it is spitting in the face of all Americans, regardless of race, religion, party affiliation, whatever. I was angry when I first read this, and I thought I would be calm enough to write about this, but I am not.

My only question is, why are the libertarian lawyers so quiet on this subject? Instapundit had a short post on this, and of course, he is more of a "linker" than a "thinker" (no disrespect intended, honest!), but these guys, and others, might want to take a moment from their drive to get rid of the ineffectual Norm Mineta, and think about whether impeaching Ashcroft might not be entirely appropriate.

Home