Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Friday, May 31, 2002


Intelligence, Consciousness, etc revisited
It occured to me today that in my "model" of cognition, I left out one of the absolutely crucial issues, which is interference (in the technical sense). This is a bit of a tease, but those out there who remember their frosh/soph physics courses will recall the periodic wave physics, with its constructive and destructive physics. An asynchronous system of nodes (a graph, that is), could conceivably have an analogous functionality, especially if those nodes have a periodic activation cycle (hint, think "refractory period"). I don't have time to elaborate on this right now, since I have to fly up to the Bay Area for a wedding (maybe I will run into "Godless" while I am up there, but I wouldn't know it.).

I am also going to blog on genomics, proteomics, and the future of biology when I get back, although if "Godless" is who I think he is, I am going to get myself in deep you-know-what with this line of argument, but you don't improve yourself by backing away from a challenge, right?

Home