Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Monday, February 04, 2002


There have been several posts on Instapundit using the analogy of cars and guns with respect to harm caused to people. A response was posted by Megan McCardle to the original response to Instapundit by Off the Kuff (whew!). The anti-analogy argument strikes me as far more cogent than the analogy itself, and what is interesting is how quickly this degenerates into "you hate us for wanting guns, you think you are better than us" type of ad hominem argument. Many people (myself included) were raised with a very strong anti-gun sentiment, and I am not likely to change my mind. Many others, raised all across the country, were raised to believe that it was their unassailable right to own and use a gun. They are, in fact, correct about that, but I don't have to be happy about it! Many studies have been done, and strangely enough, the results seem to be very dependent on who funded the study!!! It's almost as if people have an agenda about this one! Aside from the militia/black helicopter crowd, I am sure there are many quite sane people who want to own guns, and I can't stop them, but I am not about to join them, either. But my daughter won't be playing at their house, and they won't bring a gun into mine. period. end of discussion.

Home