Turned up to eleven: Fair and Balanced

Wednesday, December 12, 2001


I know everyone under the sun has weighed in on Johnny Walker/Mike Spann, but why shouldn't I do it too? The red/blue argument put forward by Andrew Sullivan is facile and asinine, as he himself has (almost) admitted. A liberal/permissive environment can foster liberal/permissive children, or illiberal/reactionary/fundamentalist children. If we really understood child psychology that well, we wouldn't have this problem. In any event, of the millions of children reared in the Bay Area (including myself), many, many thousands of them were probably raised by ex-hippies (including myself). Yet somehow, the incredibly vast majority of us (like, n-1 of us) are not traitors!! Staggering when you think about it. In fact, when comparing the Red zone v. the Blue zone, you find that the number of traitors goes 2 to 1 for the Red in recent history(Hanssen/McVeigh v. Walker). Funny how stupid some ideas that seem so obvious are when you actually think about it for a second. Maybe Sullivan et al should try it some time (I won't hold my breath!!).

Home